I recently cleared out all of my ruby install and installed form sources using the instructions at hivelogic
I have have been able to install a few gems, but most of the time, "sudo gem install rails" hangs. I've added the -V flag, and it just seems to hang, I don't get any error. And the process can not be killed. I can only reboot to kill the process.
My ruby info:
[[email protected] ~]# ruby -v ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [i686-darwin10.2.0] [[email protected] ~]# gem -v 1.3.6 [[email protected] ~]# gem environment RubyGems Environment: - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6 - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [i686-darwin10.2.0] - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS: - ruby - x86-darwin-10 - GEM PATHS: - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 - /Users/tim/.gem/ruby/1.8 - GEM CONFIGURATION: - :update_sources => true - :verbose => true - :benchmark => false - :backtrace => false - :bulk_threshold => 1000 - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org/", "http://gems.rubyforge.org"] - REMOTE SOURCES: - http://gems.rubyforge.org/ - http://gems.rubyforge.org [[email protected] ~]# which ruby /usr/local/bin/ruby [[email protected] ~]# which gem /usr/local/bin/gem [[email protected] ~]# uname -a Darwin tim-hoolihans-macbook-pro-15.local 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 [[email protected] ~]#
I built again with the following line and don't have the problem now:
ARCHFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch x86_64' sudo ./configure --enable--shared --enable-pthread CFLAGS=-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=1
sudo gem install rails -V
showed that it wasn't hanging, it was just taking a long time.
You probably just need to update your RVM.
Note that it's not really hanging so much as it's just taking 3 minutes to tell you whoops! Should have used sudo.
From this blog post this on command line works:
curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --ruby
This is still happening, but after cleaning up my path variable and killing with kill -9 it seems to be less often (and more bearable without a reboot). anyway, if anyone comes up with anything more, feel free to post.
I also experienced this issue. After installing ri1.8, it started to work properly (I use Ubuntu 10.04):
sudo apt-get -y install ri1.8
If it is really slow, check your network settings - especially if using a VM